Often served in bars and bistros as an accompaniment to drinks, Calamares is a dish of Spanish origin by Filipinos and localised with the use of calamansi.
Preparation time: 15 + 30 mins marinating
Cooking time: 15-20 mins
Filipino Calamares Ingredients:
* 1 kg (2 lb) medium squid, cleaned (head, ink sacs and tentacles discarded), outer purple skin peeled off (do not cut squid open)
* Juice of 3-4 calamansi (lime)
* 2 egg whites
* 125 g (1 cup) plain (all-purpose) flour
* 250 ml (1 cup) oil
* Salt and pepper to taste
* Lettuce (optional)
Filipino Calamares Cooking Instructions:
* Slice squid into 1-cm (½-in) rings. Marinate in calamansi juice for about 30 minutes.
* Dip squid rings in egg whites, then dredge in flour.
* Heat oil in a wok and fry squid rings in hot oil a few pieces at a time until they turn golden yellow, about 1 minute. Do not overcook as this will make the squid tough.
* Remove squid rings from the wok and drain on paper towels. Season with salt and pepper. If desired, place a bed of lettuce.
* Serve with Garlic Mayonnaise Dip as an appetizer or as a pulutan with drinks