|Camaron Rebosado (Battered Prawns in Sweet & Sour Sauce)|
Prawns dipped in batter and deep-fried, Camaron Rebosado resembles the Japanese prawn tempura in many ways.
Makes: 6 serving
Preparation time: 40 minutes
Cooking time: 40 minutes - 1 hour
2 cups plain all-purpose flour
2 Tbsp calamansi juice (or lemon juice)
2 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper
1 kg (2 lb) medium prawns, heads and shells removed, deveined, tails left intact
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
1 cup oil
Sweet & Sour Sauce
1/2 cup white refined sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 cup tomato ketchup
1/2 cup vinegar
2 tbsp cornflour dissolved in 1 cup water
* Sprinkle the calamansi or lemon juice and salt and pepper over the shrimps and set aside while you prepare the batter.
* In a mixing bowl, combine flour and salt. Dredge each prawn in flour mixture, dip in egg, then dredge in flour again.
* Heat cooking oil in a wok or frying pan. Cook prawns in hot oil in batches until they turn an even yellow-orange color. Drain the prawns on a paper towel and serve with sweet and sour sauce.
To make the Sweet & Sour Sauce
* Blend sugar, salt, ketchup and vinegar in a saucepan. Bring to a simmer over low heat. Stir in the cornflour mixture.
* Continue simmering until sauce is thick, stirring occasionally. Serve as a side dip.