|Filipino Garlic Rice|
Filipinos eat large amounts of rice, with small servings of the main dish. Leftover rice then makes great garlic fried rice for breakfast. Serves one hungry person or two not-so-hungry people.
3 tbsp. cooking oil
5 cups of steamed jasmine rice, cooled (day-old)
1/4 cup minced shallots
2 tablespoons minced garlic (adjust to taste, may need more)
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1 tsp. salt
1. Heat 3 tbsp. cooking oil in a wok or large pan on medium-high heat.
2. Add garlic and sauté for 30 seconds.
3. Add the rice and toss frequently for 1 minute.
4. Add soy sauce
5. Add 1/4 cup minced shallots (spring onions)
6. Sprinkle with about 1 tsp. salt.
7. Cook rice on low for about 5 to 10 minutes, and toss rice occasionally.