|Chicken Puchero (Pochero) Recipe (chicken, and pork or beef)|
Filipino Puchero or Pochero is a delicious stew made from chicken, pork or beef. Here’s how to prepare Puchero or Pochero the Filipino way.
Estimated cooking time: 1 hour and 20 minutes
Makes 6 Servings
* 1 cup dried chickpeas
* 1 (3 lb) chicken, cut in serving size pieces
* 1 lb pork, cut in large cubes
* 2 chorizo sausage, cut into 1″ pieces
* 1 large onion, sliced
* 4 teaspoons salt
* 1 teaspoon whole black peppercorns
* 4 tablespoons oil
* 10 cloves garlic, finely chopped
* 1 medium onion, finely chopped
* 2 ripe tomatoes, , peeled and diced or1 small can whole tomatoes
* 1 lb sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks
* 1 bok choy, cut acrossin 2″ sections
* 8 green onions, cut in 2″ lengths
Pochero Cooking Instructions:
* Wash chick peas and soak overnight (or use a can of Garbanzo beans).
* In one pan put in the chick peas chicken, pork, chorizo and add water to cover.
* Add sliced onion, salt& peppercorns, bring to a boil.
* Reduce heat and simmer until meats and chick peas are almost tender.
* In another pan heat oil and fry garlic with the chopped onion on low heat, stirring frequently until golden brown.
* Add tomatoes and cook to a pulp.
* Add meats, stock& sweet potatoes.
* Simmer until potatoes are nearly cooked then add cabbage& green onions for the last few minutes.
* Serve broth as soup and the meats& vegetables as a separate course.