|Crispy Pata Recipe (deep fried pork leg)|
* 1 Pata (front or hind leg of a pig including the knuckles)
* 1 bottle of soda (7Up or sprite)
* 1 tablespoon of salt
* 2 tablespoons patis (fish sauce)
* 1/2 tablespoon baking soda
* 4 tablespoons of flour
* Enough oil for deep frying
* Enough water for boiling
Crispy Pata Cooking Instructions:
* Clean the pork pata by removing all hairs and by scraping the skin with a knife. Wash thoroughly.
* Make four to five inch cuts on the sides of the pata.
* On a deep stock pot, place the pata in water with soda and salt. Bring to a boil and simmer for 20 minutes. Then add the baking soda and continue to simmer for another 10 minutes.
* Remove the pata from the pot and hang and allow to drip dry for 24 hours. An alternative to this is to thoroughly drain the pork pata and refrigerate for a few hours.
* After the above process, rub patis on the pata and sprinkle flour liberally.
* In a deep frying pot, heat cooking oil and deep fry the pork pata until golden brown.
Crispy Pata Dip Sauce:
Mix 3/4 cup of vinegar, 1/4 cup soy sauce, 2 cloves of crushed garlic, 1 head of diced onion and 1 hot pepper. Salt and pepper to taste.