|Skinless Longganisa Recipe (Filipino Sausage)|
Makes 18-20 sausages
Preparation time: 30 mins + 2 hours chilling
Cooking time: 30 mins
* 500 g (1 lb) minced pork
* 200 g (1 cup) diced pork fat
* 3 tablespoons brown sugar
* 2 teaspoons salt
* Freshly ground black pepper
* 2 tablespoons finely chopped garlic
* 2 tablespoons crushed garlic
* 1 tablespoon annatto seeds
* 60 ml (¼ to ½ cup) oil
* Spring onion, to garnish (optional)
Longganisa Cooking Instructions:
* In a mixing bowl, combine minced pork, pork fat, sugar, salt, pepper and garlic.
* In a small bowl, combine annatto seeds and vinegar.
* Press on the annatto seeds with the back of a spoon to extract the color.
* Strain vinegar into the pork mixture. Mix well by hand or with a wooden spoon.
* Shape into 8½-cm (4-in) sausages and roll in small pieces of wax paper.
* Chill for a few hours in the refrigerator.
* When ready to cook, heat oil in a wok or frying-pan.
* Unwrap the sausages and fry in batches in hot oil until fully cooked.
* Drain on paper towels.
* Garnish with spring onion, if desired, and served with rice and tomatoes or Garlic-Vinegar Dip.
* These sausages can also be frozen until needed.